"30 Schools In 30 Weeks"

My adventures as a Gypsy going from school To school in a futile search for a real teaching position.

Monday, November 17, 2014

An International School With High Teacher Turnover. - School #3






















I was assigned to a small international school in Long Island City and for the week I was assigned there was treated well by the Principal.  The students come from all over the world but is majority Hispanic.  The recent immigrants who go to the school have various academic levels from high achieving to barely literate.   The students do not take Regents, except for English and are well behaved.  However, the students lack school spirit and the senior class trip was cancelled due to lack of interest.

The school suffers from high staff turnover with six new teachers hired out of fifteen on staff.  Few of the teachers are tenured and none highly experienced.  Parking is available on Van Dam Street where the Public Storage building is and is within walking distance to all the schools in the area.  However, be there by 7:30 am, otherwise its $15 parking.

My stay at International High School only lasted a week since the dysfunctional DOE tried to send me to a Middle School as a provisional appointment.  However, thanks to Michael Sill of the UFT, the provisional appointment was rescinded since I am not licensed for middle school nor do I want to teach at that level.  Instead of sending me back to the International school, I was sent to my next school who had no clue I was assigned there,  Good job DOE.

Nice school but the commute is for hell.
Grade C

1 comment:

  1. Get on top of a newsworthy story...

    The Queens HS for Teaching uses two way mirrors to spy on unsuspecting teachers.

    ReplyDelete