"30 Schools In 30 Weeks"

My adventures as a Gypsy going from school To school in a futile search for a real teaching position.

Friday, February 28, 2014

A Healthy School But Watch Out For The "Gotcha" Administrators. - School #16.













The school I was at for the month of February has quite a lot going for it.  Screened and well behaved students, an experienced and friendly staff, an easy commute, and finally adequate parking.  This would be an "A" rated school if it only wasn't for the administrators.  The administrators are down right unfriendly, don't collaborate with the teachers, and use the Danielson rubric as a punitive weapon.  While as an ATR they left me alone, it was very obvious to me that they enjoyed doing a surprise walk-thru at inopportune times to try to get the teacher.  This group is the real "gotcha squad".  In fact, its on chaz's "do not apply" list.  The result is that many teachers took days off as they needed to get away from the administration and I found myself covering a class for each day I was at the school..

Except for the school administrators the screened students (mostly "3"s and some "4"s were well behaved, engaged, and cooperative.  This was the school that my field supervisor did my observation in and the students were just wonderful. The experienced staff was friendly and in the teachers' room we had many discussions and helpful advise.    Moreover, the payroll Secretary was very nice and helpful. Parking was adequate and there is no "alternate side of the street parking" in the area.

 Like all small schools the students griped about lack of good electives, after school activities, and Advanced Placement courses.  However, overall it was a great school, except for the administration.  I would take a job there but I would need to be careful of the "gotcha squad".

GRADE "B-".

1 comment: