"30 Schools In 30 Weeks"

My adventures as a Gypsy going from school To school in a futile search for a real teaching position.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My New Adventures As A Gypsy ATR - School #1.




My first assignment as an ATR this year was a five week placement in a specialized school who, by the way, didn't even have my subject area in their curriculum! Yes, you heard right the much vaulted DOE algorithm placed me in a school that had no use for me!

For the five weeks I was there the school staff, especially the teachers, treated me with respect and sympathized with me and the other ATR which also taught a subject that the school didn't have in their curriculum. Another shining example of the DOE algorithm not worth the money used to develop it. Both of us were treated well be the Administration and in my case the Principal tried to find a vacancy for me but to no avail. I also must say that the students were wonderful and well-behavd as well as smart. It was a pleasure to teach them. If all my weekly assignments were this good, I might learn to like it. However, I do expect that since the DOE wants the ATRs to quit, I look forward to the difficult challenges in store for me as I cruise the various High Schools in Queens.

What are my concerns as I start this journey into the "black hole" of the DOE algorithm? Here are just some.

  • Who is going to rate me at the end of the year?
  • Where do I get my pay stubs?
  • Is there parking available?
  • Can I get a bathroom and room key?
  • Will the union ensure I am given teacher and not clerical work?
Regardless, I now start my twisted journey into purgatory as I am sent to every High School in my district. I will write about my experiences in this blog.

GRADE "A"

No comments:

Post a Comment